Shift the March 7, 2020 2:59 p.m.
You will find Windows 10 and its notifications a little too noisy? No worries, Microsoft has planned everything and allows you to remove the sounds made by the notification center when a new message arrives, when an incident is detected, etc. Here's how to do it.
Windows 10 saw the introduction of a new notification method. All alerts are now collected in a notification and action center, whose icon is displayed at the bottom right of the task bar. each time a new notification falls, a small window at the bottom right of the screen automatically opens and disappears automatically. By clicking on the icon of the notification and action center, you deploy a pane, which offers you to consult and interact on all the alerts that have occurred in recent times. It can be an update of the system and its drivers, the arrival of new emails, a Skype message, an incident with software, etc.
The problem is that each visual notification is also accompanied by a sound notification. Not always obvious when working in Open Space (Hey, he or she received a new email. Ah well, one more! But isn't it finished soon?). And it can even become annoying for you very quickly if you are constantly using instant messaging software and are often used.
Do you have to cut the volume on your PC? It's not worth it: Windows 10 offers two fairly simple ways to apply for prevent sound notifications, without removing the volume from other events and applications. Here's how.
Read also: Windows 7, it's over, how to migrate for free to Windows 10
How to turn off Windows 10 sound notifications using Settings
- Start by going to the start button, click on the icon Parameters (or press the keys simultaneously (Windows) + (I).
- Then go to System.
- In the left pane, choose the function Notifications and actions.
- If you want to mute the sound for all notifications, uncheck the option Allow notifications to put sounds.
- If you prefer to mute the sound for some applications, but not for others, scroll down the window Notifications and actions down. Click on the application whose sound notification you want to prevent.
- Finally uncheck the option set a sound to receive a notification. Repeat the same operation for all the other applications to which you want to mute the whistle.
Read also: Windows 10, how to access the BIOS or the UEFI of the PC
How to turn off notifications from the Control Panel
- If you are resistant to the Parameters module and prefer to do things the old way, it is always possible to appeal to the good old Control panel. Start by opening it by typing its name in the Windows 10 search field.
- Then go to the function Hardware and audio.
- In the Sound section, click Edit system sounds.
- Scroll through the list of events until you reach the function Notification. The part Sounds (just below) should be set to Windows Notify System Generic.wav. Change this setting and set to (No). Finally click on Apply.
- Note to conclude that this window offers you to set other events, such as instant message notifications, those related to system, etc. If you prefer to cut some, but not others, then you have the option to do it here. Finally, you also have the means, always from this same window to change the sound of a notification, rather than deleting it. Select one of the proposed sound effects in the Sounds section (at the bottom) and listen to it using the button Test. You even have the possibility of importing your own sound effects if those proposed by Windows 10 do not suit you using the button Browse.