You want to watch a video, but video playback on your iPhone does not work. What can you do to solve this problem? Before moving on to the solutions, let us point out a few points. Sometimes iPhone will not play videos from a specific application, such as YouTube. On the other hand, you may notice that your iPhone will not play videos from an application offering this option, including Safari browser, Facebook, etc. What can cause the problem? Here are a few things: a faulty application, the fact that your applications are not up to date, or a software bug. If you are facing the same problem, try the solutions listed below.
See also: How to Fix Freezing And Crashing Errors on iPhone
Ways to Repair iPhone Video Playback Doesn't Work
Solution 1: Perform a software reset
Many problems can be resolved with a soft reset. When something on your iPhone isn't working as it should, a soft reset is a good place to start to fix the problem. This will not delete any of your data. Here's what you need to do:
- Press and hold the sleep / wake button and the home button simultaneously
- Hold the buttons until you see the Apple logo.
Solution No.2: Clear Safari history and website data
If you started Safari and want to play a video, but the video playback does not work, you should clear Safari history and website data. Go to Settings and choose Safari. Tap Clear website history and data and, when a pop-up window appears, confirm your action by tapping Clear history and data.
Solution # 3: force close an application
Suppose video playback on an iPhone doesn't work when you open YouTube or Facebook. Before passing other solutions, you must force close an application and relaunch it.
- Press the Home button twice
- You will see an overview of the applications you are using
- Swipe left or right to find the app (YouTube, Facebook, or any other app that doesn't play videos).
- Swipe up to close the app.
- Once the application is closed, return to the home screen and open the application again.
Solution no.4: faulty application
The reason why video playback does not work may be a faulty application that you have recently installed. If the application is incorrectly coded, it will not work properly, but not only. This can cause a wide range of problems on your iPhone. Make sure to remove potentially faulty apps, by finding the app icon on the home screen. Press and hold the icon until X is displayed. Click it to delete the application.
Solution 5: update the application
You need to make sure that the apps on your device are up to date. Each update is always accompanied by improvements, new features and bug fixes. This is why, if the video playback of your iPhone does not work with certain applications, we advise you to update it to the latest version.
- Launch the App Store
- Tap the Updates section in the lower right corner
- You can select Update all or find a specific application and press the box next to the name of the application to update it.
You can also read: How to Fix iPhone Doesn't Connect iTunes Store
Solution 6: reinstall the application
Uninstalling the app from your iPhone and then reinstalling it is also useful. This method also works for the problem of frozen application. You can delete the application by keeping your finger pressed on it until it moves and the x sign appears. Press the x sign and select Delete in the popup screen to confirm. After that, press the home button once.
Solution no.7: reset the network parameters
Many times Internet connection problems are responsible for the problem. If you're connected to a Wi-Fi network, go to cellular data to see if it will make a difference, or connect to another Wi-Fi network. You can also restart your router. If this does not solve the problem, you can reset the network settings to the default values. Remember that you will need to enter the Wi-Fi password again. If your iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth device, you will need to pair them again. To reset the network parameters:
- Opening parameters
- Press General
- Then press Reset
- Tap Restore network settings
- Enter the password
- Press Reset network settings to confirm your action
Solution No.8: Update the software
A bug in the software can be responsible for various problems, including this one. You can solve the problem by upgrading your iPhone to the latest version of iOS. To do this:
- Make sure your iPhone is charged or connect it to a power source
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Go to Settings> General> Software update
- Tap Download and install or install now
Solution No.9: Reset all parameters
This method will reset all the parameters that you have adjusted according to your wishes. It is a safe method and will not delete any of your data. To reset all parameters:
- Go to settings
- Press General
- Press Reset
- Then tap on Reset all settings
- Enter the password
- Press Reset all settings to confirm.
Solution no 10: restore your iPhone to factory settings
This can solve the problem. Before you start, back up your files and make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. Follow the steps below:
- Open iTunes software on your computer
- Use the cable provided with your device to connect your iPhone to your computer
- When your iPhone appears in iTunes, select it
- Click Restore iPhone in the Rsum panel
- Click Restore to confirm your action
- ITunes software will now erase your device and install the latest version of iOS
- Once the iPhone is restored to factory settings, it will restart
- Follow the steps to configure your device as new
These problems / solutions are found and effective on iPhone 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone SE.
We have listed different solutions that you can try, but if nothing works, contact Apple or visit one of their stores.