As announced a few minutes ago, DevTeam has released the new version of PwnageTool, the program for Mac that allows you to create custom firmware.
Remember that PwnageTool will not update the baseband.
- To have PwnageTool 4.2 (downloadable HERE)
- The official 4.2.1 firmware for your device (downloadable HERE)
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4-Verizon
- iPod touch 3G
- 4G iPod touch
- AppleTV 2G
1. Launch PwnageTool.
This opens a pop-up (copyright) click OK.
2. Click on the button Expert Mode , then select your device.
Finally, click on the blue arrow to continue.
3. The search for the original firmware (iOS 4.2.1) begins. once found, select it and click on the blue arrow to continue
4. At this point, click on “General” and start the personalization:
- Uncheck the “Activate the phone” box if you have an official iPhone (if you don’t need a desimlock)
- Check the box “Activate the phone” if you have an unofficial iPhone (if you are unlocked)
Reminder: If you have an iPhone 3G you can activate certain options of iOS 4 (wallpaper, Multi-tasks etc.)
5. This step is the most interesting for my taste, you can directly add your Cydia sources and packages! Once your iPhone restored with the custom firmware you will already have your packages installed (it’s huge ^^).
- Go to the “Manage sources” tab and add your sources. (Ex: http://appsystem.fr/cydia/)
- Now go to “Download packages” and wait for it to refresh.
- Choose the applications you want to install, then click “Add to the list”
- Check that in “Package Selection” your packages appear
- Click on the blue arrow to continue.
Obviously, this step is optional, you can continue without adding a package.
6. Select ” Generate ” in red .
A window will open, choose the destination of your new firmware.
7. Custom firmware is being created… DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING !!!!
8. Once the custom firmware has been created, connect your iPhone to your MAC and follow the instructions to switch it to DFU mode (PwnageTool will confirm whether or not it has successfully gone to DFU)
9. Open iTunes, click on OK (on the pop-up), then on the ALT key (Options) on your keyboard, and with the left button of the mouse on the button “Restore” (always in iTunes)
10. This will open a small window from which you have to select the custom firmware 4.2.1 you just created.
iTunes will start extracting, checking and restoring your device!