The Dev-Team has, as promised, released an Untethered Jailbreak from iOS 4.2.1. For this the hacker team has developed RedSn0w 0.9.7b1, it is a beta version. In addition the latter is only compatible with MAC OS X. Windows users will have to wait for the final version of redsn0w or attempt a Jailbreak via Virtual Machine (VMWare for example). The untethered jailbreak of iOS 4.2.1 is only compatible with iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G and iPad Wi-Fi / 3G.
Some manipulations are a bit complex, so we recommend that you perform the jailbreak only if you are certain of your knowledge, especially in handling the Terminal under MAC OS X.
Let’s move on to the most interesting part 😉
- Compatible only MAC OS X, Windows users will have to wait for the final version of redsn0w.
- Launch a full backup of your device via iTunes
- Compatible only for: iPhone 4 / iPod Touch 4G / iPad Wi-fi, 3G
- This Jailbreak will not cause you to lose data, but backing up is a very good guarantee.
- RedSn0w 0.9.7b1
- iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G or iPad 3G / Wi-Fi on iOS 4.2.1 (Jailbreak or not)
- Have the SHSH 4.2b3 saved (Launch Cydia and see if there is marked at the very top in green 4.2b3, if it is not marked you should not proceed to Jailbreak)
- Have iOS 4.2 beta 3 on your desktop
- iOS 4.2 beta 3: iPhone 4
- iOS 4.2 beta 3: iPod Touch 4G
- iOS 4.2 beta 3: iPad
- iTunes 10.1.1
- Lock the rotation in the multitasking bar of your device.
People who want to unlock do not have to update their device in 4.2.1 otherwise they will lose their unlock with Ultrasn0w. Indeed the baseband will be updated. However, it is also possible to switch to iOS 4.2.1 without upgrading the baseband. However, this manipulation is reserved for informed users.
According to the Dev-Team, the Jailbreak does not work on 100% of the machines. If it doesn’t work, there’s no point in persisting. Be patient while the final version is available.
The Jailbreak does not ensure the SandBox and the functioning of the bluetooth. (SandBox is a mechanism that allows the execution of software (s) with less risk to the operating system. These are often used to execute code that is untested or of questionable origin.)
We eliminate the “doubtful provenance” since it is the Dev-Team and not the Chronic Dev Team: p
Update # 1. A bug with multitasking has been detected on some devices. When opening a multitasking application the SpringBoard Plante. An update to redsn0w should not take long to fix the problem.
Update # 2. The iPod app will no longer work on some devices.
If you have these 4 elements on your desktop, it means that you have read everything carefully… bravo ^^
Update your device to 4.2.1 with iTunes. If it is already on iOS 4.2.1, go directly to step 2.
Check once again that the SHSH 4.2b3 is well saved. Simply open your Cydia.
cf. SHSH: iOS 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 4.2b3
Connect your device via USB cable to your MAC, cut iTunes.
Launch the Terminal under MAC OS X!
Type the following commands
- cd desktop
- curl -O http://marcansoft.com/uploads/usbmuxd/usbmuxd-1.0.6.tar.bz2
- tar -xvzf usbmuxd-1.0.6.tar.bz2
- cd usbmuxd-1.0.6 / python-client /
- chmod + x tcprelay.py
- ./tcprelay.py -t 22: 2222
Do not close the terminal and launch redsn0w…
Click on Browse and select firmware 4.2.1 (This is not beta firmware here !!!)
Select only “Jailbreak Monte (untether)”
Then select firmware 4.2 beta 3!
Click on NEXT…
Leave your device connected by USB but turn it off!
Click on NEXT and follow the on-screen instructions
- To press on the buttonIGNITION for 2 seconds
- To press on the buttonIGNITION + the button ROUND for 10 seconds
- To release only the buttonIGNITION
Your device is now Jailbreak on iOS 4.2.1 untethered.
Thanks to Crunky, Lombard.apple, KHIMUS, Booby and Yassine for signaling by Push!
the iPhone3GSystem team