After a few first impressions hot now is the time to take stock more precise of iPhone 3G usage after 10 days of use rather intensive!
Is it really worth getting the iPhone 3G? This is the question that many people still ask themselves … I will try to comfort you in your choice if you hesitate take the plunge.
Since the last keynote, Steve Jobs had promised us major improvements with this iPhone 3G, here's what I think about it:
– Autonomy : Undoubtedly much better than in the iPhone V1 but in view of the new features presented on the iPhone 3G, the battery still tends to discharge quickly … From the moment you use your iPhone 3G only for phone, sms functions and even listen to music, no worries, the battery is holding up well! On the other hand, if you start launching a game of Crash Bandicoot, surfing the internet on 3G or Wi-Fi and launching GPS navigation, no miracle, the battery drains quickly but nevertheless reasonable times …
– Let's come to this navigation GPS : I had the opportunity to test the navigation on a stretch of motorway well covered in 3G (I was recording background) and I was blown away by the results. The details were remarkable and the loading of Google Map was even smooth. On the other hand, I walked out a few hundred meters later where 3G was no longer available and to see the GPS reference point advancing in the void since Google Map was having trouble loading Edge… This precision in navigation left me with a promising feeling. There is only hope that a navigation solution (TomTom style) is offered on the App Store with obviously the possibility of saving road maps directly on the iPhone 3G, it should be able to do it! However, have a cigarette lighter charger…
– The loud speaker : I stay on my first position, it is much better than in the iPhone V1: more powerful with better listening quality.
– The level of design (back shell): A lot of people feared that the back shell would quickly get scratched given the use of this material in shiny plastic, I can assure you, it is not so… I do not hesitate to drop my iPhone 3G one almost everywhere and after 10 days of use, no claw is visible on the rear hull. Just a micro-scratch, barely visible, on the Apple logo … The white shell of the‘IPhone 3G 16GB always has the advantage of being less messy at the level fingerprints than its brother the iPhone 3G Black. At the level of the plastic chrom going around the front (easily scratched on the iPhone V1), I still don't have any claws or micro-claws to mourn. However, it must be the same materials used as the V1?
IPhone 3G goes hand in hand with the new firmware 2.0, some impressions also after 10 days of use:
On the Belgium iPhone forum, we hear all kinds, mixed opinions and less mixed about the stability of it.
To date, I have experienced a single bug or rather a slowdown. It is located at the level ofcontact application which is located directly on the iPhone springboard. When we launch this app, it freeze a certain time (a few seconds) before being available to scroll through the contacts before possibly re-freezer thereafter. There is a big improvement to make this side … I do not understand that Apple has not made this application available and all done functional in a future update … Please note that contacts are scrolled normally when you go there via the phone application.
The Push : A handy function that works relatively well. Not having Exchange, I took MobileMe and everything synchronized without any problem whatsoever in terms of emails, contacts or calendar. I also noticed that emails arrive faster on my iPhone than in my inbox (May, Outlook, …). We therefore receive e-mails instantly like on a Blackberry. This is a real advantage for those who use their iPhones as a working tool … I will not dwell on MobileMe but after a difficult start, it finally works correctly and the data updates are done quickly.
TheApp store : I’ve never downloaded so much and used apps on my iPhone since the App Store started. There is a feeling of confidence in the stability and monitoring (updating) of the applications offered there for a fee or not.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't understand people who refuse (or find it shameful) to pay a few euros for a good, stable app. All the same, it took hours of work for these developers who still make us happy and who deserves compensation and to make themselves known possibly more easily thanks to the App Store …
In short, some of the apps I use and like:
– Crash Bandicoot (paid): Small 3D games (Mario Kart style) with rather impressive graphics and fluidity on the iPhone.
– Super monkey ball (paid): it is number 1 in the ranking of paid applications on the App Store. It is a small monkey that must be guided in its ball by making it roll on slopes and turns. Graphically very well done (3D) and the gameplay is very nice on the iPhone, it still takes a little time to adapt …
– Texas Holdem Poker (paid): Who, as the name suggests, offers you a game of poker against the computer or in multiplayer. The video effects are quite impressive and the gameplay is easy to handle… For example, you just have to hit two times on the table (with your finger) to check…
– Shazam : A free app that impressed me enough. It allows the recognition of the music that you listen to on your radio or anywhere … An example, the other day, I was in a supermarket, the music playing there at the time I liked it, I launched Shazam to “tag” the song and a few seconds later, I had the name of the artist, the title of the album and the song that was playing live. Shazam even offers the possibility of buying the desired song directly on iTunes and possibly seeing a video clip on Youtuben, which is quite nice!
– Facebook : Free application that allows you to view your network of friends from anywhere. It is even possible to chat, email your acquaintances and add photos to your profile directly through the app.
– Without forgetting Remote (free) which allows you to control your iTunes library remotely as long as you are connected to your Wi-Fi network…
It remains only present to hope for a revision (update) of the firmware 2.0 to make it even more stable and a nagivation solution integrated in the iPhone (road maps) and we can really be satisfied but for how many time ? 😉
Your reactions to the forum.