If you have an Android device, you already know all the things you can do with it. custom flash and custom ROMs, and do all kinds of tasks you always wanted to do on a smartphone. One of those things could be to use your Android device as a webcam. Yes, you heard right. You no longer need to have a webcam for your computer, as your Android device can act as a webcam for you. You can then use it for other purposes including video chats, capture photos, etc.
In order to make your Android device work like a webcam (you will need an “IP Webcam” application). As the name suggests, the app allows you to access your device’s camera using your computer’s IP protocol. All you will need is a computer with a web browser, an Android device, and these two should be connected to the same WiFi network.
How to use your Android device as a webcam
Using an Android device as a Webcam
1. Download the IP Webcam app from the Google Play Store.
2. Launch the app on your device.
3. Unlike most applications that you have come across, this one uses a different kind of user interface. The first screen is actually the Settings page where you can configure all your webcamss. The configuration options available here are endless; just click on them to find out more.
4. Scroll down through all of the options and you should see an option that says “Start the server.” press it and it will start your webcam server which you can access from your web browser on your computer.
5. As soon as you start the server, it will immediately start streaming content from your camera. Along with this, you should see an IP address on your screen; just write it down.
6. Now open a web browser on your computer. Type the IP address you wrote down in the step above and press Enter.
7. The screen that follows is where you will be able to view your camera. On this page, choose “Browser” from the video rendering section and “HTML5 Wav” from the audio player section.
8. You should now be able to view images from your camera directly in your browser.
IP Webcam offers a number of other features, which include the ability to record video, zoom-in, video quality, focus, and a lot more.