Avast Security is free antivirus software used by millions of people around the world to secure their computers and information. It provides browser and computer security, firewall, antispyware, antivirus software and antispam. It has the largest market share of free antivirus software on all platforms. It is one of the best antivirus software of the current generation.
Many certainly recommend Avast as one of the best and most reliable antivirus software on the market. But if you are not satisfied for some reason and want to remove it from your computer, this article is for you. If you are a Mac user and wondering how to uninstall Avast, keep reading. All steps are listed below.
See also: Slowly running MacBook – How to fix it
Method I: Delete via the menu bar
You can uninstall Avast from the software menu bar. This is the most recommended method and you just need to follow the steps below:
- Click on the Avast menu bar in the upper left corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, select the Open Avast option.
- Now click on Avast Security in the menu bar.
- Select the Uninstall Avast option from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Select additional security products to install and click Continue.
- Sometimes it can ask for administrator authorization, so just enter your username and password, then click OK.
- Wait a few seconds for the uninstall process to complete, then click Exit.
This is probably the easiest method you can try. However, there are other ways to do this.
Method II: Remove via Avast Uninstaller
Avast developers have made it easier to uninstall Avast by developing a custom uninstaller for this purpose. It is free to use a tool called Avast Security and is available on their official website. You can also download the uninstaller from other sources. Follow the steps below to uninstall Avast using the Avast Security uninstaller:
- Go to the official Avast site and find the installer for the Avast Security Tool on Mac and download it.
Note: Download only the Mac Configuration file as no other type will work for you.
- Now open the installation file tlcharg by double-clicking on it.
- Select Uninstall Avast.
- Click on Uninstall.
- You can also select additional Avast products to uninstall by checking the box next to their names.
- Now click on Continue.
- If your Mac has multiple users, the uninstaller may ask for administrator permission. Enter the administrator user ID and password, then click OK.
- Click on Exit.
Avast Security is uninstalled once all of Avast's open tabs have been closed, then it is completely erased from your Mac.
Method III: Manually delete
You can also manually remove Avast security from your Mac. Follow the steps below:
- Close all Avast statuses.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove Avast from the list.
- Now go to the library folder and delete all of its service files and folders.
Note: You can search these subfolders for service files-
- Macintosh HD> Users >> Library> Application Support> Avast
- Macintosh HD> Users >> Library> Caches> com.avast.AAFM
- Macintosh HD> Users >> Library> LaunchAgents> com.avast.home.userpront.plist
After deleting all these files, your Mac will be completely cleaned of Avast.