Personalization is the key to enjoying computer operations. Windows 10 offers a multitude of options allowing the user to adapt the device a visually attractive functionality which does not put you literally on standby. The themes are definitely at the top of the list in terms of personalization. This goes from the general call to the ease of interface. Windows 10 themes allow the customization of features such as wallpapers, color tones, alert sounds and of course the wallpaper.
See also: How to change Windows 10 default font
We recently added a very interesting selection of themes to the Microsoft website. It is a welcome relief, as the ancients were boring to say the least. The themes of the site are classified into different categories, which is quite logical. Each will have a sample display to give you an overview of what to expect if you decide to use it. For users with multiple monitors, the ideal category would be the panoramic category which gives an impressive display.
- Download the desired theme from the official Microsoft site. They're not that big, so there's no need to worry about consuming data.
- When the download is complete, click to open the file. This will decompress the theme for installation.
- Close the tabs and right-click on an empty location on the desktop. This will reveal a small set of desktop operations, click on the 'customize' tab.
- This will launch the settings panel. On the right side, select the option "Go to themes"
- Once open, select the theme you have downloaded and unzipped. If done correctly, it will be one of the available themes, just make sure to remember its reference title in case many themes are already available on the device.
- Once selected, click on the 'Use a custom theme' option to apply it and it will instantly become active.
This method of posting on the Microsoft website offers the best selection of topics, but it is neither the easiest nor the quickest way. New themes can be selected and installed using the abbreviated method shown below, but fun enough, it does not provide a wide selection and is therefore not really recommended.
- Access the settings from the Windows 10 Start menu, then select "Themes".
- There is an option to get more themes which can be found under the option to apply a different theme.
- Clicking on it will open the MS Store to download a different theme. The rest of the process is similar to the one above.
Third party themes
Only a few third-party theme developers are available. The security mark for these is a digital signature of Microsoft. However, these third party themes are generally available in the MS Store list and can therefore be installed easily using the usual process.
Other unverified sources require the installation of a patch before installing various themes such as UltraUXThemePatcher. If you decide to go this route, be sure to create a restore point on the computer first if you have a problem.
- Make sure that the selected themes are specifically designed for Windows 10. Unlike some device software, themes are not versatile and will simply not work if installed on the wrong operating system.
- The design of the Windows 10 operating system is however a bit restrictive as far as customization is concerned and therefore discourages any interference in appearance problems.
- The themes to be eliminated are generally accompanied by rigorous parameters which are not optional. These may however still be suitable for personal preferences despite the restrictions relating to additional modifications.
- Third party themes from other developers should be avoided, no matter how attractive, because they pose a very significant risk of malware.