You may be wondering how to check if your iPhone is unlocked. We will show you how to do it.
Before we get to the steps, a quick word on the difference between locked and unlocked iPhones. Unlocked phones are the ones that can be used on any network, be it At & t, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or whatever. Locked phones are the ones people buy through an operator. Until the phone is paid and the contract is completed, the phone remains locked. If you plan to sell your phone or buy a used one, you should know whether the device in question is locked or unlocked.
See also: iPhone volume buttons don't work – How to fix it
Checking the unlocking status via the parameters
To check the unlocking state, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, open your phone settings
- Then, in the subsection, select Cellular
- In the next window, click Cellular data options.
- Now, if your phone takes you to another screen by clicking on the cellular data options that say Enable LTE, etc., that means your iPhone is unlocked and you're ready to go. But if this option doesn't work, it's an indication that your iPhone is locked.
This is not the ideal method to check if your iPhone is unlocked or not, because sometimes it does not work with some already used or even newer phones. So you can opt for another option.
Check if iPhone is unlocked via SIM card
To check the unlocking status of your iPhone with this method, you must have at least two SIM cards, each with a different telephone operator (if you do not have two different SIM cards, you can borrow one from a friend or family member). Now let's go to the steps with which you can check the status:
- First, you need to dye your iPhone.
- Next, you need to open the iPhone SIM card tray (you can use a paper clip for this purpose) and remove the current SIM card from the phone.
- Now place the SIM card of another operator in the SIM card tray (remember that the new SIM card must also be the same size) and push the SIM card tray back into place.
- Once you've done that, it's time to turn on the phone.
- Now check whether the SIM card is working properly or not by calling someone or sending a message to any phone number.
- at the end you will see the result of the unlock status. If you see a message that the call could not be answered, it is a clear indication that your phone is locked.
Checking the unlocking status with an online tool
You can find some online tools and websites that allow you to check whether your iPhone is unlocked or not using your iPhone's IMEI number. However, most websites offering such services provide the service for an additional fee. It is usually a few dollars. If you are ready to pay, you can choose this option.