One of the best features of Microsoft Edge is its ability to be personalized for a more personalized user experience. This concept is quite ingenious especially with the release of the dark theme which is simply incredible. These efforts are similar to the customization features of other application developers, such as the night mode option on the Twitter app. Microsoft Edge comes with light mode as the default, which is essentially the standard interface. It is quite simple to activate the dark mode which is also referred to as the dark theme.
See also: Microsoft Edge Tips and Tricks
Activation of the dark theme in Microsoft Edge
The developers of Microsoft Edge made it all a little tricky. First, you need to activate the Windows 10 dark theme. Assuming you want a global dark theme on the global device interface. If the dark theme is only desired for Microsoft Edge, you can skip the first phase of the detailed customization below.
- Open the settings from the start menu and navigate to the control panel or simply do a quick search for the settings in the search bar of the start menu.
- Select the theme settings which will reveal the selection available from the different categories of themes available on the device.
- Choose the dark theme and run and you're good to go.
These initial actions will not activate darkness in Microsoft Edge, but will only apply to the device user interface. To bring the same Microsoft Edge effect:
- Access the Microsoft Edge settings, available in the menu on the start screen or on the home page, depending on the device used.
- There is an option for theme selection in the settings panel. Select this option to display the available selection options.
- This will show you the available theme options, select the dark theme panel and press enter or OK.
- The device will immediately return to the dark theme for Microsoft Edge upon confirmation and you can enjoy your exquisite interface.
If the device has not been defined on the dark theme outside of the Edge application, these parameters will not be affected. It is generally best to have similar themes in and out of the application. The dark theme can also be deactivated in the same way at any time by simply selecting the lighting mode.
Dark Microsoft Edge Web Pages
The dark theme can also be intensified by making the web pages themselves follow a dark theme and not just the Microsoft Edge interface. This will require an extension which is not normally installed on the default configuration extensions. This extension is more convenient when watching online videos and therefore provides a darker and more effective wallpaper. It will extend the dark theme to all Microsoft Edge web pages, just like the Dark Reader in browsers such as Chrome.
- Go to the Microsoft store and look for the dim lights extension that is compatible with the device you are using.
- Install the app once it's downloaded and you're good to go. The extension is quite small and easy to follow.
- Once the installation is successfully completed, click on the MS Edge menu option and scroll through the extension options.
- The new extension will now be available if the installation has been successful. Click on the "switch lights" extension.
- Access the extension options which must launch automatically to determine the privileged actions. Select the option to display the night mode button. This will allow personalization of each web page visited easily.
This extension will enable automatic night mode on web pages or a simple manual switching option. The function can be easily deactivated in the settings at any time, but the night mode creates dependency. Once you start using it, you will never want to go back.