Android: how to backup and restore your SMS
There are very practical applications that allow you to save your SMS and then restore it in the event of a reset of your telephone or in the event of a change of device. Convenient to transfer your old SMS to a new smartphone. Let's see how to use them.
Many Android users have asked themselves the question one day how to back up their SMS and how to restore them. This is for example the case when you change your smartphone or when you have to do a reset in case of a problem. Well, know that there is nothing simpler and that it is enough for that to download one of the most famous applications of Andoid: SMS Backup & Restore.
This app is both easy to use and free. A paid version 3.95 exists, but it's just to remove the ads, all the features remaining accessible on the free version. The paid application is mainly there to support the developer.
Before starting this tutorial, you need to download the app from the Google Play Store:
<img class = "alignnone wp-image-2180957 size-full" src = "data: image / svg + xml,% 3Csvg% 20xmlns = 'http: //www.w3.org/2000/svg'%20viewBox=' 0% 200% 20840% 20484 '% 3E% 3C / svg% 3E” alt=”save restore sms” width=”840″ height=”484″ data-lazy- data-lazy- data-lazy-src=”https://img.phonandroid.com/2016/09/sauvegarder-restaurer-sms-3.jpg”/>
- After pressing save you will have several options, either save to the phone memory, or to the external memory card if you have one. We recommend that you make the backup on the SD card, as it will be easier to transfer it to your new phone.
- Note that the more recent versions of the application also offer to create a backup on various online storage services, in particular Google Drive (associated with your Google account), the very popular Dropbox or onedrive from Microsoft.
- Then you have other options available to you. One of the novelties is to be able save his call log. You will be able to choose a name (the basic one is the date with the time simply), you can also choose to save your MMS as well as the emojis sent, but the backup will be heavier. Then you can select to save all conversations or only some. Finally you can choose to upload or not the backup, to upload it you will need the Add-On mentioned at the beginning. Note that messages in RCS (Rich Communication Services) format cannot yet be saved.
- Once this is done, you can start the backup, it will be longer or shorter depending on the number of SMS. After finishing the backup, you will get a message to see if everything went well.
How to restore SMS with SMS Backup & Restore?
Backing up your SMS is good, restoring it is better. Especially when you have to reset or change your smartphone. You should know that the SMS backup file is in / Sdcard / SMSBackupRestore, once you have recovered the file, open the application and do Restore. If your backup archive has been uploaded to a remote storage service, simply choose the latter from the recovery options and select your backup in the same way.
<img class = "alignnone wp-image-2180958 size-full" src = "data: image / svg + xml,% 3Csvg% 20xmlns = 'http: //www.w3.org/2000/svg'%20viewBox=' 0% 200% 20840% 20484 '% 3E% 3C / svg% 3E” alt=”save restore sms” width=”840″ height=”484″ data-lazy- data-lazy- data-lazy-src=”https://img.phonandroid.com/2016/09/sauvegarder-restaurer-sms-4.jpg”/>
- From there, the app offers you the most recent backups. It is also possible togo get the backup yourself you want or take the one that was uploaded.
- Once you have selected the backup, you can choose to restore MMS or not, and restore the entire backup or just from a specific date.
- Attention since Android 4.4 the application needs to be the default SMS app, just press yes, and once the restore is complete you can change the default SMS app again.
- Now the restoration starts. She will much longer than the backup, especially if you have several thousand text messages. Sometimes it can take several tens of minutes: so be patient. As for the backup, you will have a pop-up to warn you that it is finished and see if everything went well.
How to restore text messages on a Xiaomi, OnePlus, Huawei and Samsung smartphone
It is also possible to use solutions from manufacturers, here are a few: