Before replacing your Amazon Echo speaker, it is better to desynchronize your account under penalty of letting its future owner buy products using your bank details! For added security, you can also restore it to factory settings. We explain how to do it.
If you acquired a new Amazon Echo over Christmas, you may be in a hurry to part with your old model. However, resell the speaker to a third party is not without risk. In addition to Alexa’s critical flaw that allows access to your personal data, the future owner may be able to use your account to make purchases on the e-commerce platform.
Don’t panic, there is a simple solution to avoid this inconvenience. To do this, you must erase all the information stored in your speaker. Only a few steps are necessary to achieve this goal and thus prevent you from sharing your Prime benefits with a stranger. Here’s exactly what to do.
Also read: Amazon Echo – Alexa can now predict what you are going to ask her
How to desynchronize my Amazon account?
The first step is therefore to erase all traces of your Amazon account from your Echo speaker. To do this, open the dedicated application on your smartphone and click on Devices. Then select the speaker you want to remove. Scroll until you find your Amazon account email address and click Deregister. A window then appears to confirm your choice. Once done, your Amazon account is no longer accessible from the Echo speaker.
For added security, it is also advisable to restore the device to factory settings. The methods vary depending on the model:
- First generation: Long press the button reset under the speaker until the speaker displays an orange light
- Second generation: Simultaneously hold the buttons Microphone Off and Low volume until an orange light appears
- Third generation: Hold the button Action until an orange light appears
- Amazon Echo Studio: Simultaneously hold the buttons Microphone Off and Low volume until an orange light appears
- Amazon Echo Flex: Hold the button Action until an orange light appears
- Amazon Echo Show: Simultaneously hold the buttons Mute and Low volume until an orange light appears
Your Amazon Echo is now ready to start its new life!