How to add a second number to your smartphone for business purposes and stop carrying two phones? Some smartphones come with a dual SIM card, most do not have this feature, especially Apple’s iPhone. This is why these applications allow you to have a free secondary virtual mobile phone number, also known as “disposable provisional numbers”. They need internet connection to work because they are VoIP, they are probably the best virtual phone system for small business because unlike PBX you don’t have to buy hardware.
A second line helps you separate your personal life from your work life – much like corporate email with the creation of a professional or separate identity. A virtual office phone line that serves as a designated business number, you get all the benefits of a business phone line with the ease of a mobile or desktop app that you can use on devices you already own, including your smartphone, smartwatch, tablet, PC and Mac.
Forget about those dual SIM cards for iPhone, this virtual number app is a better solution. The advantage is that both numbers work continuously, while the adapter can only have one SIM card activated at a time. The other advantage is that these numbers are disposable, you just need to sign up for a new number once the old number receives too many spam calls. Great for joke calls too.
6 Virtual phone number apps for iOS and Android smartphones
01 – Google Voice Number | USA only | No subscription fees + Credits
Google Voice gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail as easy as email, free long distance calls to the US, discounted rates on international calls, and lots of calling. It is a virtual phone number transfer service. The virtual number is linked to your Google Hangout, which means calls and texts are made through Hangout. To subscribe to a free number, click on the “Settings” button, then on the “Phones” tab and integrate it with your current phone number.
02 – Burner | USD5 / m + Credit purchase
Burner is your “other” number – your job number, Craigslist number, Etsy number, or appointment number – the one to give when you need to be in touch, but want the option to disconnect. Use Burner for everyday situations – web forms, deliveries, sellers, and buying things on the web – just like any other phone number. Get all the features you need to stay in touch, including calls, texts, and picture messages. Create multiple burners, keep them for as long as you want, and burn them anytime – no hassle or contracts. Share your burner with anyone and everyone – and keep your real number private. Unlimited numbers for calls, SMS and photos. Now you can connect Burner to your favorite apps using burner connections.
- Real Phone Numbers When You Need Them – Unlike a random phone number generator, burners are real numbers with area codes that you can use for calls, texts and voicemail to keep in touch with anybody.
- Control Your Mobile Identity – Manage who can reach you without compromising your personal information or using a fake phone number that doesn’t work. Features like Touch ID lock and custom line colors will keep you organized and in control.
- Burn to ‘Disconnect’ – Keep a burner on for as long as you want … or throw it away at the push of a button. As if by magic, your number is out of service and the data is erased from your phone.
03 – Line2 | USD10 / m & USD15 / m + Minutes
Line2 is a cloud computing service that lets you talk and send messages on your mobile devices with the simplicity of an app. Add a second phone line or a complete phone system to your mobile phone, tablets and computers. Line2 is an IP-based telephone service. It works in the cloud and works on any device connected to the internet. Once you’ve selected a number in the area code you want, this is an app that works like your phone number, allowing you to call and text unlimited. Also take advantage of other features such as auto attendant, multiple lines and call screening.
- All Inclusive Plan – Fancy as much text as you want and enjoy unlimited calling to the US and Canada in your monthly plan.
- Choose a number – Get a local number in the city of your choice. Or, transfer your existing number at no additional cost.
- Port your own number – Port (port) any US or Canadian wireless or landline number to your Line2 account.
- Call forwarding – Forward all calls to your phone number, home or office.
- WiFi Calling – Talk and text over WiFi and mobile data. No matter what network you connect to, your calls stay connected, even in cell phone “dead zones”.
- No contracts. Cancel Anytime – Sign up for a monthly service and pay as you go with no setup or cancellation fees.
04 – Skype Number | USD6 / m + Credits
With a Skype “virtual mobile number” number, your non-Skype friends can call you, just like a regular number, and you answer the call on your computer. How it works. Jane has set up a Skype number. Now, when she visits the United States (or anywhere else in the world) on business, her friends and family can call her normally. Skype does all the smart things and directs their calls to Jane’s computer when she logs into Skype. Sign up for a Skype number and get the convenience of a local number that people can call, wherever you are. Skype Numbers are available in a wide variety of area codes and in several countries / regions.
- Get a professional number for the office
- Expand your reach with an international number
- Manage your calls in one place and save money
- Keep a phone number when you are away
- Make it easier and cheaper for the family to call
- Solve the problem of needing a local number for the bank.
05 – Sideliner | USD3 / m & USD10 / m
Sideline is the 2nd free number for your smartphone. It uses your existing carrier network and minutes to make your second number work wherever your cell phone is. Since Sideline provides carrier reliability, this is the mobile phone solution for small businesses, contractors, freelancers, or anyone else who needs a second phone line to ensure privacy. You can finally stop using your cell phone number for work and keep your personal number private.
- Local Code Number – Select an area code and get a number that works wherever you do. You get to talk and text from a second phone line and because it’s a real number you can call or text someone.
- Transfer an existing line – If you already have a working number on another landline or second device, number porting allows you to transfer that number to the side line.
- Gatekeeper Reliability – Unlike most calling apps that use Wi-Fi, Sideline works with your regular cellular network to give you the same quality and reliability as your home number. It also allows you to share your calling minutes (which are probably unlimited) between two numbers. Compared to “cloud-based”, “virtual” or “VoIP” phone systems, Sideline uses minimal data for general functionality.
- Call & Text – Your second number is like your first. Separate caller IDs, notifications, and ringtones let you know who is contacting you. For outgoing communication, just open Sideline. With your free phone number you get unlimited texting and calls on the side use the carrier plan you already have. * Support for Hawaii and Alaska coming soon.
- Keep the personal number private – You shouldn’t give out your personal number to everyone – that’s why there is Sideline. But it’s not just a 2nd line for the job. It can be your temporary number. Your anonymous number. Your business number. Your disposable number. Your fake phone number. This is what you need to protect your primary cell number.
- Voicemail Forwarding – Evenings, weekends or holidays, you can still silence your Sideline and send calls directly to voicemail. You can even set up multiple voicemail messages or automatic text replies to personalize your greeting under any circumstance.
06 – Cloud SIM | Credit purchase
Looking for a way to find all of your mobile needs in one easy to use app? The Cloud SIM mobile application offers you 4 additional mobile numbers to assign to work, travel, frequentation or simply for personal use, while keeping your real number private. No need for two phones, Cloud SIM gives you the freedom to access all your separate contacts from a single app.
Offering free texts and chats to other SIM card users, as well as low cost texting and calling, this handy app lets you easily switch between profiles and stay in control. your mobile identity. Need cheap international calling rates? Cloud SIM is the lowest of all mobile service providers. With its in-app purchases and friendly user interface, Cloud SIM is the ideal solution for mobile interactions, opening up a new world of networking, right from your own phone. Dial up a storm, with Cloud SIM – the numbers in the air.
- Free calls and texts to other SIM card users
- 4 additional real mobile numbers
- Switch effortlessly between profiles
- Dedicated voicemail for each separate mobile number
- Cheapest international calls
- Complete control of your mobile identity
- Ideal for online businesses and eBay sellers
- Cloud SIM – Four numbers, one phone