Apple typically releases a major update to macOS every year. They recommend keeping your Mac up to date. Why is upgrading so important? The new update is always accompanied by improvements (especially in terms of security) and bug fixes. Sometimes it also comes with interesting new features. Here we are going to show you how to update the software on a Mac.
See also: How to set up a new Mac for the first time
How to update software on a Mac
1. Check your Mac compatibility
Checking the compatibility of your Mac is one of the most important things to do before starting the update process. If you update Mac to incompatible Mac OS, you may run into problems. For example, Mac does not complete the boot process, applications quit unexpectedly, etc.
Make sure your Mac model is one of these:
- MacBook (2009 late or more recent)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or later)
- MacBook Air (2010 recent or later)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 or higher)
- iMac (2009 late or more recent)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or later)
2. Save the data
Do not start the upgrade process without first backing up your data. This is the most essential part of the How to Update Software on Mac guide. You can back up data using the Time Machine hard drive, a third-party hard drive, or an external drive.
3. Check storage
Make sure you have at least 14.3GB of available storage and 2GB of memory on your Mac. If you plan to update macOS to High Sierra on MacBook series, do not forget to connect it to the mains.
4. Internet connection
Some macOS update issues are caused by a slow or unstable Internet connection. To avoid these problems, make sure you have a dedicated Internet connection.
5. Download and install macOS High Sierra
After following all the steps listed above, you can complete the download and installation process with confidence and security. These steps are the main part of the How to Update Software on Mac process. You can download macOS High Sierra through the App Store. It is the easiest way.
- Launch the App Store from the Home screen or Spotlight Help. If you are on your browser screen, click the Apple logo in the upper left corner of the screen and select App Store.
- Click Update in the top toolbar of the App Store window, wait a few seconds and you will see Software Update.
- Click the Update button to download macOS High Sierra.
- Once the download process is complete, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- You may need to enter the administrator username and password.
All our congratulations! The upgrade process is complete. You can now enjoy macOS High Sierra on your Mac.