The desktop photo can improve your mood, especially if you work on your Mac for hours. Changing the photo on a Mac is pretty simple. So if you're wondering how to customize a desktop image on a Mac, here is the article that will show you how to do just that. Follow a few simple steps listed above, and you will be done in no time.
See also: How to update the software on a Mac (macOS High Sierra)
How to customize a desktop image on a Mac
We will change the background via System Preferences. It's an easy method to follow, so everyone can do it without any hassle. Here are the steps:
1. You can launch System Preferences from the Mac home screen or click on the Apple menu () located in the upper left corner of the screen.
2. Once the system preferences are open, find Desktop and screen saver and click on it.
3. You might see three folders on the left side of Desktop and Screen Saver, namely Apple, Photos and Folders. Choose Apple, click Desktop Pictures. You will see the images that came with your Mac. Select one and close the panel. You have successfully changed the wallpaper on Mac.
4. If you are using macOS Mojave, you can try one of the Dynamic Desktops themes: Mojave and Solar Gradients. The image lighting will change dynamically after the hour on your desktop. For example, in the evening, the image will turn a darker blue.
How to Change the Mac Wallpaper to Your Own Image
The images provided with Mac are excellent, but you may want to change the wallpaper using your own image. There are two ways to personalize a desktop image on a Mac using your own photo.
- First of all, via system preferences. Follow the steps from the first to the third (numbers above) and choose Photos instead of Desktop image in Desktop and screen saver.
- Select a photo of your choice, then close the shutter. Once you click on a photo, it will immediately replace the background on Mac.
- Launch the Photos app and find a photo.
- Right-click the photo, choose Share, and then click Set Desktop Image.