Apple is one of the most popular companies in the world and Apple products come with innovations. Touch ID is one of them. Apple has introduced this fabulous feature for the first time on the iPhone 5. Using Touch ID to unlock your iPhone is faster and more efficient. When Touch ID does not work on the iPhone, it can disrupt the activities of your smartphone. Do you have this problem right now? If the answer is yes, try the solutions below.
See also: Unable to send or receive text messages on iPhone – How to fix it
What is Touch ID
Touch ID is the fingerprint feature of the iPhone. The feature has fingerprint identity sensor technology. You can use it to unlock your iPhone and if you want to buy something from iTunes and App Store. Apple released this feature for the first time on iPhone 5s.
What to do when the Touch ID does not work on the iPhone
- The home button on your iPhone is free of water, oil, other liquids, dirt and dust. You can clean it with a soft cloth. Avoid using a liquid cleaner directly on the home button.
- Remove any accessories attached to the home button, if any.
- Make sure your registered finger is also free from water, oil, other liquids, dirt, and dust.
- If the Touch ID does not work iPhone problem appears after you have replaced the assembly display at an unauthorized service provider – this may be the reason why it does not work.
Solution 1: Toggle Touch ID and password
You can choose how you will use your fingerprint identifier. Are you going to use it to unlock your iPhone, when buying from iTunes and the App Store? Deactivating and reactivating the function can solve this problem.
- Go to settings >> Touch ID & Passcode
- Enter your password
- Slide unlock from iPhone and iTunes and App Store
- Wait a few seconds and drag it over
Solution 2: Reset Touch ID
Deleting your enrolled fingerprints and adding them can help resolve Touch ID issues on an iPhone issue. To do this, access the Touch ID & Passcode window and erase all the fingerprint identifiers that you have registered. To do this, tap the fingerprint list, then tap Remove fingerprints. After deleting all registered fingerprint IDs, create them again. When registering your fingerprints, make sure to register them perfectly using different fingerprint sides / positions: left, right, top, etc.
Solution 3: Restart the iPhone
Many problems with the iPhone can be solved by restarting the device. The restart process can refresh the iPhone, kill bugs and frozen applications. Simply press the Standby / Standby button for a few seconds until the message Slide to dye appears on the screen. Slide it to the right and wait for the iPhone to fully turn off. After a minute, turn on the iPhone by pressing the same button until the Apple logo appears.
You can also read: How to fix an iPhone / iPad that does not connect Bluetooth
Solution 4: erase iPhone
By erasing the iPhone, you delete all your settings, applications and data. Thus, it is advisable to back up your iPhone before performing this method. To erase your iPhone, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings >> General >> Reset >> Reset all content and settings.
- Enter your password.
- Tap Erase iPhone in a pop-up message to confirm your action.
Solution 6: restore iPhone
The restore process erases everything on the iPhone, including data, applications, settings, operating system, firmware, etc. Remember to save your data in advance. Here are the steps:
- Open iTunes software on your Mac / PC
- Connect your iPhone or iPad Mac / PC using a Lightning cable
- In the Rsum tab, click Restore
- iTunes will download the firmware first
- Once the process is complete, configure your device as new.
Touch ID does not work on iPhone after iOS update
Updating your iPhone's iOS is important. It brings bug and pin fixes, as well as improvements in phone performance. But, the process doesn't always go smoothly, especially if you don't do it right. A problem that can arise after updating the iOD is as follows: Touch ID does not work on the iPhone. If you are facing the same situation right now, these solutions can solve the problem of your iPhone.
Wait a day
If you have just updated iOS on your iPhone and you have noticed that the touch ID does not work, wait at least a day. Give the device time to adjust after the update.
The update process may change certain settings on your iPhone. Check if it has also reset your fingerprints. It is best to reset the touch ID by going to Settings >> Touch ID and access code >> press all fingerprints >> press Delete to confirm. Then create the new fingerprint ID.
These problems / solutions are found and effective on iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
If the problem with Touch ID persists after you've tried all of the above solutions, it may be a hardware issue – contact Apple or visit one of their stores.
See also: FaceTime doesn't work on iPhone – How to fix it