Undeniably, Akismet by Automattic is one of the best spam protection plugins for WordPress. Used by millions of websites, Akismet filters out the hundreds of millions of spam comments from the web. Unfortunately, Akismet is not free if your site reaches a certain number of visitors and contains advertisements.
What is the best WordPress comment spam plugin? There is no perfect comment spam plugin, but based on my own experience with WordPress for 15 years, Google reCAPTCHA is my favorite, not only is it good, it offloads spam handling on their server, thus reducing the load on your server. Without further ado, here are 10 tools to combat comment spam and protect your WordPress site from spam and abuse.
READ ALSO: 20 Best Social Media Plugins For WordPress
01 – Google reCAPTCHA [Le meilleur]
Google reCAPTCHA v3 is a free service that protects your website from spam and abuse. reCAPTCHA uses an advanced risk analysis engine and adaptive challenges to prevent automated software from engaging in abusive activity on your site. It does this while easily letting your able-bodied users through.
reCAPTCHA v3 is the latest version and has no checkbox to check if you are human or bot, it is invisible. reCAPTCHA v3 helps you detect abusive traffic to your website without user interaction. Instead of displaying a CAPTCHA challenge, reCAPTCHA v3 returns a score so you can choose the most appropriate action for your website. To implement Google reCAPTCHA on WordPress, you will need a plugin.
02 – Mathematical method
Another method of stopping spam is to test if they can answer a simple math question. Since some robots have the ability to solve simple math, this method will work most of the time. These Math Captcha is a 100% efficient and easy to use CAPTCHA for WordPress that integrates seamlessly into login, registration, lost password, comments, bbPress and contact form 7.
03 – Trap method
Unlike other spam prevention methods that use techniques to tell if a commenter is human, Honeypot checks to see if the commenter is a bot. Instead of challenging human visitors, it creates a bogus challenge for robots. When bots rise to the challenge, they eventually reveal themselves and are captured before they can post spam.
- Honey Jar for WP Commentary
- WP Spam Fighter – Trap + Time Method, normal users actually read your post, which takes time. So someone who posts a comment just seconds after uploading the post must be a spammer.
04 – Cookie method
This plugin adds a stylesheet or an image to the html source code of your blog. When a browser loads this style sheet or this image, a cookie is set. If this user then leaves a comment, the cookie is verified. If it does not exist, the comment is marked as spam.
- Cookies for comments
- Sock’Em SPAMbots – Also use the Honeypot method where a generic formbots will often fill all fields on the form with gibberish, so we can assume that if some text is added to an invisible field something robotic is happening!
05 – Combination of various methods
A head is better than two, let alone three or four. These plugins use a varied combination of traps, tricks, and artificial intelligence to determine whether the comment is spam or not. By painting the past history, comparing it to a database and the history of the IP address, it will determine if a comment is deleted by a bot or a human.
- Antispam Bee – Antispam Bee effectively blocks spam comments and trackbacks, without captchas and without sending personal information to third-party services. It’s free, ad-free, and 100% GDPR compliant.
- WordPress Zero Spam – Automatically block registration spam and comment spam without any additional configuration or configuration.
- Anti spam – Anti-spam checks your comments and contact form submissions against our global database, once the comments are verified against the spam database, a self-learning neural network rechecks the unfiltered comments, from spam to prevent your site from posting malicious content.
- Stop spammers – Stop spam emails, spam comments, spam logging and general spam bots.